The history of mail handling and delivery in the village of Glencoe goes back many years. Several locations in the village were designated post offices between 1869 and 1909 including the following:
- McAlpine Building (1869-1874)
- Leitch Building (1875-1886)
- Swaizland Block (1886-1895)
- Clanahan Block (1895-1899)
- Stuart Block (1899-1909)
In 1909 a magnificent post office was built at the corner of Main and Symes street in the village (at the location of the current post office). The post office was used as a postal station, customs house and armoury. The post office was constructed of red pressed brick, white stone trim and galvanized roof. A clock and bell tower was installed a few years later. The building interior offered ash trim with oak facing, lavatories, electric lights and hot water heating. The estimated cost of the post office was twenty-two thousand dollars.
The post office was demolished in 1965 to allow for the construction of a new building.