Mission: to promote, encourage and foster the study of local history and genealogy including original research.
The Historical Society primarily focuses on local history within the bounds of the current Municipality of Southwest Middlesex, located in the south-west tip of Middlesex County.
The area includes:
- Village of Glencoe
- Ekfrid Township [Former]
- Mosa Township [Former]
Local Expertise: Many of our members are experts in regional history:
- land registry records for West Middlesex 1790-1973
- regional settlement in the 1800’s
- life and culture throughout the past 200 years
- involvement in WW1 and WW2
- history of local families
- significant buildings and structures
- local agriculture
- building design and methods, and
- textiles, sewing, quilting.
Objectives: The Glencoe & District Historical Society is an incorporated non-profit volunteer organization. It is a member of the Ontario Historical Society and the Ontario Genealogical Society. Our objectives are:
- To promote, encourage and foster the study of local history and genealogy including original research.
- To collect and preserve information, including books, manuscripts, typescripts, charts, maps, photographs, photostats, microfilms, tapes and related material for such historical study.
- To reproduce some of the talks presented to the Society, as well as other research and materials, particularly relating to the region and to sell such reproductions.
- To encourage, support and solicit research information on heritage buildings in our District as well as lend our support to other community groups who are active and interested in the preservation and restoration of heritage buildings.
The founding president Reverend George Hamilton held a strong passion regarding the preservation of local history and believed in the importance of sharing knowledge and engaging people with an organization that would provide an environment focused on encouraging these interests. The Society was formed in April 1978.